Bonsall

Slideshow

After the bustle and noise of Matlock Bath it comes as a surprise to find just over the hill a peaceful village like Bonsall nestling in a deep dale. Bonsall is a village of many parts; The steep road up from the Via Gellia is called The Clatterway. At the village green The Dale splits off to the left while the High Street carries on all the way to Town Head. Between Town Head and The Dale is Uppertown while just along from The Dale is the hamlet of Slaley.

Bonsall has a long lead-mining heritage and once boasted five pubs. The moor above is pock-marked with the remains of lead-mines and the village comprises mainly small lead-miners and weavers cottages.

At the centre of the village is an old market cross on a circular base of steps outside one of the two remaining pubs, The King's Head, dating from 1677. Just along church lane is the Victorian church, which overlooks the village. Over in The Dale is the other remaining pub, The Barley Mow, which hosts the annual Bonsall Chicken Race on the first Saturday in August.
 

google plus

facebook


/places/townalbum.php Photo Gallery - click on the images to enlarge- Click Here for a slide show
Matlock Bath - The Pavilion
0 - Matlock Bath - The Pavilion
Bonsall Market square
1 - Bonsall Market square
Cromford - Scarthin and millpond
2 - Cromford - Scarthin and millpond
Matlock Bath
3 - Matlock Bath
Matlock Bath from above the Temple Hotel
4 - Matlock Bath from above the Temple Hotel
River Derwent at Matlock Bath
5 - River Derwent at Matlock Bath
Middleton by Wirksworth cottages
6 - Middleton by Wirksworth cottages

No local visits found

All material © Cressbrook Multimedia 1997-2017