Glossop, Derbyshire. A former Peak District mill town.
Glossop is a busy, bustling former mill town and the largest settlement in the north-western corner of the Peak - though like Buxton it lies just outside the National Park boundaries.
|Main Index||Accommodation||Food & Drink||Tourist Attractions||Towns & Villages||Outdoors||Geography & Maps||Features & Photos||Events & Links|
|Glossop is a busy, bustling former mill town and the largest settlement in the north-western corner of the Peak - though like Buxton it lies just outside the National Park boundaries.|
The area was settled by the Angles in the seventh century and by the time of the Domesday survey in 1086 there were twelve villages listed in the Glossop parish. However, after the conquest of 1066 the area was confiscated from its Saxon Carl and incorporated into the Royal Forest of the Peak under the stewardship of William Peveril. This set back settlement and farming in the area for several hundred years, for farming and grazing of animals in the forest was forbidden, and much of the surrounding area was recorded in Domesday as 'waste'.
In the early 14th century the manor of Glossop was leased to the Talbot family, later Earls of Shrewsbury, who retained it until the Dissolution in 1537. In 1606 it came into the ownership of the Howard family - the Dukes of Norfolk - who held it for the next 300 years with Glossop usually being given to the younger son of the family. The town was then based around Old Glossop and in the 16th and 17th centuries it expanded considerably as the wool and cotton spinning industries developed, and a number of old weavers' cottages can still be seen in Old Glossop.
The town became the Borough of Glossop in 1866 and in this period several fine buildings were constructed around the new centre of the town at Norfolk Square - the Town Hall and the Market Hall to name just two. On the opposite side of the square from the Market Hall you will now find the Heritage Centre, which records the history of Glossop. Just up the road to Buxton behind the Market Hall is the Information Centre, telephone: 01457 855920.
In the 20th century cotton spinning has declined and most of the mills have closed, the Howard family have left and the railway no longer goes from Glossop under the Pennines. However Glossop is still a thriving, prosperous town with some interesting sights, a good shopping area, a range of accommodation and a strategic position at the western edge of the Peak. It provides an excellent base for accessing and visiting the western parts of the Dark Peak, including Black Hill, Bleaklow and Crowden as well as Chinley and Coombes. The drive west across Snake Pass towards Sheffield is dramatic and beautiful but not to be undertaken lightly in harsh winter conditions.
Glossop Photo Gallery - click on the images to enlarge- Click Here for a slide show
Useful local links:This is Glossop Website A website giving local news and information about Glossop
www.glossop.com Glossop Town Website
Glossop Life A lifestyle magazine for Glossop and the High Peak
|Back||Top||Main Index||Accommodation||Food & Drink||Tourist Attractions||Towns and Villages||Outdoors||Maps||Links|
All material © Cressbrook Multimedia 1997-2008