Villages around Haddon Hall

Ashford in the Water

Slideshow

Ashford is an attractive and popular little village lying on the River Wye, just upstream of Bakewell. It has a long history, and from the Iron Age or earlier was one of the major crossing points on the Wye. The river and the bridges across it are major features of Ashford. Sheepwash Bridge dates from the 17th century and has a pen next to it for the purpose of washing the sheep, a practice which continued until quite recently. Downstream, Mill Bridge is dated 1664, but is newer than Sheepwash Bridge.

Sheepwash Bridge
Sheepwash Bridge
The church has some parts dating from the 12th century, including a south door with its original Norman tympanium showing a tree of life in the centre with a hog and wolf facing it. There is a 14th century tower and font, but the church was heavily restored, nay rebuilt, in the 1870s, and most of the building dates from then.

An ancient local custom unique to this village was that of hanging funeral garlands from the roof of the church. Four garlands still hang there, the oldest from 1747. They were made of white paper cut to form rosettes and fixed to a wooden frame. They would then be carried before the coffin of a young virgin in the funeral procession, before being hung up.

In the church is the grave of Henry Watson (d. 1786), who was responsible for the commercial exploitation of Ashford Black Marble. Not a true marble, this impure limestone comes up an attractive shiny black colour when polished. It was quarried from Kirk Dale and Rookery Wood just outside Ashford and was used at an early date in both Hardwick Hall and Chatsworth House. Watson's invention in 1748 of machinery for cutting and polishing the marble allowed it to be mass-produced and it became very fashionable. Watson's machinery used water power from a mill on the River Wye near the foot of Kirk Dale, which closed in 1905, though the foundations may still be seen. Examples of Ashford Marble are on display in Buxton Museum.

A further 2km upstream, on the River Wye, lies the outlet for Magpie Sough, built in 1873, an impressive 2km long underground 'drain' for the Magpie mine at Sheldon. Lead mining was extremely important in this area until the end of the 19th century.

Ashford has an annual well-dressing which is held during the week of Pentecost - six weeks after Easter (usually late May/early June). There are about 6 wells to dress, and this is one of the largest such festivals.

The village has a shop and a couple of pubs.
 

google plus

facebook


Ashford in the Water Photo Gallery - click on the images to enlarge- Click Here for a slide show
Ashford Church
0 - Ashford Church
Ashford Welldressing
1 - Ashford Welldressing
Ashford Welldressing
2 - Ashford Welldressing
Ashford - Sheepwash Bridge
3 - Ashford - Sheepwash Bridge

Bakewell

Slideshow

Bakewell Church
Bakewell Church
Bakewell's name is said to derive from the warm springs in the area - the Domesday book entry calls the town 'Badequella', meaning Bath-well.

The town was built on the West bank of the Wye at a spot where it was fordable and the site was probably occupied in Roman times (there is a Roman altar at Haddon Hall, found nearby). The Saxons left their mark here and in 924 Edward the Elder ordered a fortified borough to be built here.

The church was founded in 920 and some Saxon fragments can be seen in the porch. However, although parts are Norman, most of the modern building dates from the 13th century and it was then virtually rebuilt in the 1840s. It contains many interesting monuments and is well worth a visit.

A few yards up the hill from the church is the award-winning Old House Museum, housed in one of the few genuinely medieval buildings of the area. This house serves as a local history museum and is in the care of the Bakewell Historical Society. Other places of historical interest include Bagshaw Hall, a fine 17th century house built by a rich lawyer, and several old buildings down King Street, such as the Old Town Hall, the Red Tudor House and the Hospital of the Knight of St John. Just off the Buxton Road lies Victoria Mill, which ground corn from water power until 1939.

The old bridge at Bakewell
The old bridge at Bakewell
Two of the original wells (which serve up water rich in iron at a temperature of 15 degrees Centigrade) still survive. These are the Bath-well in Bath Street and Holywell (or Pete well) in the recreation ground. The others have been filled in long ago. Likewise, little except the bridge across the Wye (built around 1300 though widened since then) now survives of the old Bakewell, which was quite medieval in character until the early 19th century. In 1777 Arkwright opened a mill in the town and it was perhaps the resulting surge in prosperity which caused the town to be largely rebuilt in the 19th century.

One such building is the Rutland Arms, overlooking the town square and built in 1804. Jane Austen stayed here in 1811 and in Pride and Prejudice she has Elizabeth Bennet stopping here to meet the Darcys and Mr Bingley. However the Rutland Arms' chief claim to fame is as the place where the Bakewell Pudding (Bakewell has never heard of tarts) was invented by a chef of 1859 who made a mistake. You can now buy Bakewell Puddings at several establishments across the town, all claiming to have the original unique recipe.

Bakewell has one of the oldest markets in the area, dating from at least 1300. The first recorded fair was held in 1254. Markets are still held every Monday and, unlike most of the other local centres, there is a thriving livestock market at the recently rebuilt Agricultural Centre, which is well worth a visit. The big event of the year is the annual Bakewell Show, which takes place the first Wednesday and Thursday in August and attracts farmers and many others from all over the Peak District and surrounding area.

Bakewell from the river
Bakewell from the river
There are some very pleasant walks along the river from the bridge in the centre of town. Downstream leads to the recreation ground and upstream takes you to the site of Arkwright's mill, via Holme Hall (a fortified manor house dated 1626) and Holme Bridge (dated 1664). The mill burned down in 1868, but the cottages associated with it (Lumford Terrace), still survive.

Bakewell has a full range of shops, pubs and restaurants. There are numerous options for accommodation and there is also a Youth Hostel.

Bakewell has an annual well dressing and carnival, held in late June and it is the home of the Peak District National Park Authority, who have their main offices at Aldern House, Baslow Road. They also operate the town's information centre which is in the old Market Hall in Bridge street, with a parking area (except on market days) and public toilets next to it. It is open daily 9.30am - 5.30pm in summer and 9.30am - 1pm in winter. Telephone: 01629 813227
 
Bakewell Photo Gallery - click on the images to enlarge- Click Here for a slide show
Bakewell Church
0 - Bakewell Church
Bakewell Church - Norman north door
1 - Bakewell Church - Norman north door
Bakewell Church - Saxon stone fragments
2 - Bakewell Church - Saxon stone fragments
Bakewell Church - medieval coffin lids
3 - Bakewell Church - medieval coffin lids
Bakewell Church - Norman font
4 - Bakewell Church - Norman font
Bakewell Church - Foljambe monument
5 - Bakewell Church - Foljambe monument
Bakewell Church - Tomb of Sir Thomas Wendesley
6 - Bakewell Church - Tomb of Sir Thomas Wendesley
Bakewell Church - Saxon cross stump
7 - Bakewell Church - Saxon cross stump
Bakewell - view of the town from the riverside
8 - Bakewell - view of the town from the riverside
Bakewell livestock market
9 - Bakewell livestock market
Bakewell bridge over the River Wye
10 - Bakewell bridge over the River Wye
Bakewell Church - Saxon Cross
11 - Bakewell Church - Saxon Cross
Bakewell Church - medieval stone graves
12 - Bakewell Church - medieval stone graves
Bakewell - Old house museum
13 - Bakewell - Old house museum
Bakewell - view of the church and the town
14 - Bakewell - view of the church and the town

Beeley

Slideshow

Beeley is one of the Chatsworth estate villages. Now bypassed by the road into Chatsworth, until the late 1700s it was a through route for traffic traveling to and from the estate. Following the construction of the new road it exists as a tranquil, set-back village with a group of cul-de-sacs with cottages constructed of honey-coloured gritstone, quarried from Fallinge Edge above. There is a nice pub, which is unsurprisingly called the Devonshire Arms, a free public car park opposite. The church has a Norman doorway and a 16th century tower but was over-restored by zealous Victorians. The church also has a fine, ancient specimen yew in the churchyard, thought to predate the church itself. There is also an excellent cafe and wholefoods shop called The Old Smithy located just up from the pub.

Beeley Moor, high to the east of the village, is a fine open, wild area with good walking and occasional views of Chatsworth Park. This area was heavily populated in the Bronze Age and the moor is dotted with hut circles and tumuli, the most celebrated of which is Hob Hurst's House - an unusual square tumulus which is a scheduled national monument. At one time Beeley grit was famous for being especially hard and was used to make grindstones, but this trade has long ceased.

Travelling north, you soon arrive at the boundary of Chatsworth Park. The road crosses the Derwent into the park on Beeley Bridge, which was constructed in 1761 and is a fine example of an 18th century bridge.
 
Beeley Photo Gallery - click on the images to enlarge
Chatsworth - the Emperor fountain
0 - Chatsworth - the Emperor fountain

Birchover

Slideshow

Birchover is larger than first appears, with rows of cottages clustered along a road which heads straight up the hillside to the historically significant Stanton Moor. It is a very good centre for exploring both Stanton Moor and Harthill Moor on the opposite side of the valley.

At the bottom of the village is the Druid Inn and there is a church hidden in a hollow below it. The church has some unusual paintings which seem more appropriate to the namesakes of the Inn than a church. Behind the Druid Inn is Rowtor Rocks, a small gritstone tor with a fine view similar to the better-known Robin Hood's Stride across the valley from it. It contains several finely balanced rocking stones which can be moved by the application of a shoulder. One of these could once be moved easily by hand, but was shifted from its position as a prank by fourteen young men on Whit Sunday 1799 and although it was replaced it is not now so finely balanced. The steps and seats which are carved out of the rock here were the work of the Reverend Thomas Eyre, the builder of the village church.

At the top of the village there is an active and important stone-cutting works and behind this are quarries where high-quality gritstone is extracted for building purposes.
 
Birchover Photo Gallery - click on the images to enlarge- Click Here for a slide show
Stanton Moor - Cork Stone
0 - Stanton Moor - Cork Stone
Harthill Moor - The Nine Stones
1 - Harthill Moor - The Nine Stones
Stanton Moor - the 9 ladies stone circle
2 - Stanton Moor - the 9 ladies stone circle
Robin Hoods Stride
3 - Robin Hoods Stride
Stanton Moor - the Andle Stone with Youlgrave behind
4 - Stanton Moor - the Andle Stone with Youlgrave behind
Birchover view
5 - Birchover view
Cratcliffe Tor
6 - Cratcliffe Tor
Winster - Old Market Hall
7 - Winster - Old Market Hall
Winster Dower House
8 - Winster Dower House
Winster Hall
9 - Winster Hall
Winster street
10 - Winster street

Darley Dale

Slideshow

Darley Dale is a long, drawn out Derwent Valley settlement that lies A6 to the north-west of Matlock. It is principally residential now but was the location of the Mill Close Mine - the last major lead mine in the Peak, which closed in 1939. Now there is a lead smelter on the site. Largely ignored by the traffic passing through it nonetheless has some very interesting nooks and crannies. The old town is down and to the west of the road towards the river and the parish church has a Norman font and a very old and impressive yew tree with a 33-foot girth. The tree is claimed to be over 2,000 years old. On the main A6 road above the church is the Whitworth Institute, founded by Sir Joseph Whitworth, a local industrialist and local benefactor.

Either side of Darley Dale there are excellent walking prospects and scenery. To the West is Stanton Moor with both ancient and industrial heritage while to the east is the much quieter Fallinge Edge, now largely accessible thanks to the CROW act. Both Stanton and Fallinge are gritstone and sport incredible heather in late July and August.
 
Darley Dale Photo Gallery - click on the images to enlarge- Click Here for a slide show
Restaurant car at Peak Rail
0 - Restaurant car at Peak Rail
Peak Rail engine
1 - Peak Rail engine

Edensor

Slideshow

Edensor is a very pretty and very unusual village. It is located within the Chatsworth Park boundaries. The modern village of Edensor is a relatively recent creation - the former village was deemed to be too close to Chatsworth House and was moved to the edge of Chatsworth park in the early 19th Century, so the modern village dates mainly from the 1830s and later.

The original village stood several hundred meters closer to the main House and one of the original houses remains and can still be seen. The sixth Duke had the village moved to it's new and current position so that it could not be seen from the House and legend has it that many designs for the houses of the new village were submitted to the Duke but he couldn't decide which one he wanted so had a house built in each of the proposed styles, making each house in Edensor unique and the village a very curious place indeed.
 
Edensor Photo Gallery - click on the images to enlarge- Click Here for a slide show
Chatsworth - view across the park
0 - Chatsworth - view across the park
Chatsworth House
1 - Chatsworth House
Chatsworth - the 'grotto' in the gardens
2 - Chatsworth - the 'grotto' in the gardens
Chatsworth - view across the Derwent
3 - Chatsworth - view across the Derwent
Chatsworth - east facade
4 - Chatsworth - east facade
Chatsworth - the stables
5 - Chatsworth - the stables
Chatsworth - the maze in the gardens
6 - Chatsworth - the maze in the gardens
Chatsworth - the Canal Pond and Emperor Fountain
7 - Chatsworth - the Canal Pond and Emperor Fountain
Chatsworth - the cascade in the gardens
8 - Chatsworth - the cascade in the gardens
Chatsworth - Tiepolo ceiling in the house
9 - Chatsworth - Tiepolo ceiling in the house
Chatsworth - the Huntingtower
10 - Chatsworth - the Huntingtower
Chatsworth - garden statues
11 - Chatsworth - garden statues
Edensor
12 - Edensor
Pilsley pub
13 - Pilsley pub
Chatsworth - the hothouses in the gardens
14 - Chatsworth - the hothouses in the gardens
Chatsworth - the house viewed from the gardens
15 - Chatsworth - the house viewed from the gardens
Chatsworth - the Emperor fountain
16 - Chatsworth - the Emperor fountain
Chatsworth Park - the bridge over the River Derwent
17 - Chatsworth Park - the bridge over the River Derwent
Chatsworth - the house seen from the park
18 - Chatsworth - the house seen from the park

Elton

Slideshow

Elton is a pretty village constructed of a warm-coloured local sandstone. It is situated on the hillside looking down towards Youlgreave and Stanton-in-the-Peak and the views from nearby Blake Low are particularly fine. Robin Hood's Stride and Cratcliff Tor are within easy walking distance.

The village is situated just off the Iron Age road known as The Portway, and that and the presence of local springs probably accounts for its existence here, placed high on the hillside in an otherwise exposed position. It was a lead-mining centre in the 18th and 19th centuries and the church, which dates from 1812, replaced an earlier building which collapsed in 1805 due to mining subsidence.

At the village centre there is a pub and a cafe, while further along the main street there is a the former Elton Hall which until recently was a Youth Hostel.
 
Elton Photo Gallery - click on the images to enlarge- Click Here for a slide show
Harthill Moor - The Nine Stones
0 - Harthill Moor - The Nine Stones
Robin Hoods Stride
1 - Robin Hoods Stride
Birchover view
2 - Birchover view
Cratcliffe Tor
3 - Cratcliffe Tor
Elton cafe
4 - Elton cafe

Hassop

Hassop has an imposing look, due to the splendour of the architecture left behind by the Eyre family, the local landlords and builders of Hassop Hall. The Hall is now a private hotel but it retains the fine buildings and classical park (with lake) that the Eyres erected. The Eyres were devout Catholics and so the large Classical style church which draws your eye as you pass through the village is a Catholic one. As well as being landowners, the family made much money from lead-mining and it is said that there are two large manholes in the floor of the cellar of the Hall which lead to a former lead-mine.

The village has a pub called, not surprisingly, the Eyre Arms.
 

Longstone

Slideshow

Longstone is made up of two small villages, Great and Little Longstone. The villages have many fine 18th century cottages, built during an era of prosperity from lead-mining and shoemaking. There is a village green in Great Longstone, with an ancient cross and a nearby manor house which has medieval origins. Across the road is Longstone Hall, originally built during the 14th century, but rebuilt in the mid 18th, with a prominent brick facade. There is a rather nice church hidden round the back of the village.

Great Longstone church
Great Longstone church
There is a shop and two pubs in Great Longstone, the Crispin (patron saint of shoemakers) and The White Lion, while Little Longstone has the Packhorse.

Great Longstone and Little Longstone have well-dressings in late July.

Just along the road, to the west of Little Longstone, is Monsal Head, a famous beauty spot and viewpoint. There is a small car park with a fine view down the valley, and a much larger car park, with public toilets, 100m away. A few hundred metres towards Ashford there is an old Quaker burial ground.

To the north of Longstone lies Longstone Edge, a fine viewpoint for the surrounding countryside. Unfortunately the top of the edge has been intensively quarried for lead and, more recently fluorspar, which has left some impressive holes in the ground but rather detracts from its scenic value.
 
Longstone Photo Gallery - click on the images to enlarge- Click Here for a slide show
Monsal Head Viaduct
0 - Monsal Head Viaduct
Monsal Dale - river Wye
1 - Monsal Dale - river Wye
Monsal Dale
2 - Monsal Dale
Longstone parish church
3 - Longstone parish church
Entrance to Headstone Tunnel below Monsal Head
4 - Entrance to Headstone Tunnel below Monsal Head

Middleton by Youlgreave

Slideshow

Middleton cottages
Middleton cottages
Middleton by Youlgreave is a quiet, leafy place built above the River Bradford, upstream of its larger neighbour. There was once a castle here, a fact commemorated in the name of Castle Farm, but the modern village was mostly constructed in the 19th century around the hall, which is hidden behind trees at the southern end of the village.

The most notable feature of the village is the grave of Thomas Bateman (1820-61), an important local archaeologist and excavator of some 500 local barrows. Though he took some care to record and analyse his finds, his methods were unfortunately not nearly as scientific as modern techniques, and he was known to have excavated as many as five barrows in one day. Many of his finds are now in Sheffield Museum, and some in the British Museum. He is buried in a field behind the former Congregational chapel, in a small enclosure surrounded by cast-iron railings. A barrow would perhaps have been more appropriate.

On the village green there is a playground and public toilets, and alongside there is a more recent memorial to the crew of a Lancaster bomber which crashed at nearby Smerrill in 1944.

The walking around Middleton is excellent. Bradford Dale is beautiful and the high, limestone pasturelands around the village harbour much archaeology, both ancient and industrial.
 
Middleton by Youlgreave Photo Gallery - click on the images to enlarge- Click Here for a slide show
Youlgrave church - exterior view
0 - Youlgrave church - exterior view
Youlgrave Church - tomb of Thomas Cokayne
1 - Youlgrave Church - tomb of Thomas Cokayne
Youlgrave Church - medieval pilgrim figure
2 - Youlgrave Church - medieval pilgrim figure
Youlgrave Church - Roger Rooe tomb
3 - Youlgrave Church - Roger Rooe tomb
Youlgrave Church - memorial to Robert Gilbert
4 - Youlgrave Church - memorial to Robert Gilbert
Bradford Dale
5 - Bradford Dale
Middleton by Youlgrave - Thomas Bateman\'s tomb
6 - Middleton by Youlgrave - Thomas Bateman\'s tomb
Fluorspar workings on Long Rake
7 - Fluorspar workings on Long Rake
Middleton by Youlgrave
8 - Middleton by Youlgrave
Over Haddon stile
9 - Over Haddon stile
Youlgrave YHA
10 - Youlgrave YHA
Youlgrave water cistern
11 - Youlgrave water cistern
Youlgrave public house
12 - Youlgrave public house

Over Haddon

Slideshow

Over Haddon is a picturesque former lead-mining village clinging to the top of the steep side of Lathkill Dale to the south of Bakewell. It is a popular stopping point for weekend walkers in the Lathkill valley and has a useful car park, though using this does involve a steep descent (and thus ascent) into (and out of) Lathkill Dale below. The village has a pub called The Lathkill.

Lathkill Dale is a beautiful and fascinating place. An alternative perspective can be achieved by following the gorge top access land from the access point to the south of Haddon Grove Farm, one mile to the west of Over Haddon.
 
Over Haddon Photo Gallery - click on the images to enlarge- Click Here for a slide show
Lathkill Dale - the remains of the aqueduct from Mandale Mine
0 - Lathkill Dale - the remains of the aqueduct from Mandale Mine
Lathkill River
1 - Lathkill River
Conksbury Bridge
2 - Conksbury Bridge
Over Haddon village
3 - Over Haddon village
Over Haddon stile
4 - Over Haddon stile
Mandale Mine engine house
5 - Mandale Mine engine house
Mandale Mine buildings
6 - Mandale Mine buildings

Pilsley

Slideshow

Pilsley is one of the villages of the Chatsworth Estate and is built of a mellow local sandstone. There is a public house (the Devonshire Arms, naturally) and on the other side of the road there is the Chatsworth Farm Shop, housed in the former Shire Horse Stud building.

Pilsley has a well-dressing in mid-July.
 
Pilsley Photo Gallery - click on the images to enlarge- Click Here for a slide show
Baslow Old Bridge over the River Derwent
0 - Baslow Old Bridge over the River Derwent
Edensor
1 - Edensor
Pilsley pub
2 - Pilsley pub

Rowsley

Slideshow

Rowsley lies at the junction of the Wye and Derwent rivers and is bisected by the main road, the A6. The village is in two sections - the original village lies in the 'Y' between the two rivers while to the east is the so-called 'railway village' constructed around the former Midland railway station. The two sections form an interesting contrast - the old part is made of gritstone cottages and farmhouses and has connections with nearby Haddon and Chatsworth, while the newer part is more utilitarian.

Peacock Hotel Rowsley
Peacock Hotel Rowsley
Two buildings in Rowsley are of interest. One is the Peacock Hotel on the main road. Built in 1652 by a John Stevenson who was agent to Grace, Lady Manners, this was at one time a dower house of Haddon Hall and is a very fine building. Above the entrance there is a magnificent ceramic peacock (the emblem of the Manners family), made by Mintons of Stoke-on-Trent. The second interesting building is Caudwell's mill, which lies off the A6 to the south, and is a fine example of a working 19th century mill. The outbuildings in the grounds of the mill house a number of different art and artisan workshops as well as an excellent cafe.

In the old village there is a Victorian church just to the north of the old railway line. Over the bridge across the Derwent there is a second pub and a small 'shopping village' behind it.
 
Rowsley Photo Gallery - click on the images to enlarge- Click Here for a slide show
Caudwells Mill
0 - Caudwells Mill
Rowsley - the Peacock Hotel
1 - Rowsley - the Peacock Hotel
Restaurant car at Peak Rail
2 - Restaurant car at Peak Rail
Peak Rail engine
3 - Peak Rail engine

Sheldon

Slideshow

Sheldon is a small farming hamlet perched high above the River Wye, South of Ashford. From just outside the village there are fine views of the Wye and the lower part of Monsal Dale.

Lead mining flourished around here in the 18th and 19th centuries and most of Sheldon dates from this period. One of the most famous and certainly the best-preserved Peak District mine, the Magpie Mine, lies just 1km south of here.

Sheldon has a pub, the Cock and Pullet, popular with hikers.
 
Sheldon Photo Gallery - click on the images to enlarge- Click Here for a slide show
Magpie Mine
0 - Magpie Mine
Magpie Mine
1 - Magpie Mine
Magpie Mine
2 - Magpie Mine
Sheldon Cottages
3 - Sheldon Cottages
Monsal Dale view from Sheldon
4 - Monsal Dale view from Sheldon

Stanton in the Peak

Slideshow

Stanton-in-the-Peak is an estate village mostly constructed by the Thornhill family during the 18th and 19th centuries. Stanton Hall lies well hidden just to the south of the village, much of which is pleasingly built around stone courtyards and alleyways. The village faces west and catches the afternoon and evening sun all year. It is a fine vantage point from which to view the Wye valley, with Haddon Hall in clear view.

The church is an imposing building dating from the 1830s. The village pub is called The Flying Childers, named after an otherwise long-forgotten race-horse. The main interest around here lies above the village on Stanton Moor, with its stone circles, standing stones and Bronze Age enclosures plus fine views across the Derwent valley.

Stanton Lees is a small hamlet on the east side of Stanton Moor with a spectacular view across Darley Dale and the Derwent Valley.


 
Stanton in the Peak Photo Gallery - click on the images to enlarge- Click Here for a slide show
Stanton Moor - Cork Stone
0 - Stanton Moor - Cork Stone
Harthill Moor - The Nine Stones
1 - Harthill Moor - The Nine Stones
Stanton Moor - the 9 ladies stone circle
2 - Stanton Moor - the 9 ladies stone circle
Caudwells Mill
3 - Caudwells Mill
Stanton Moor - the Andle Stone with Youlgrave behind
4 - Stanton Moor - the Andle Stone with Youlgrave behind
Cratcliffe Tor
5 - Cratcliffe Tor
Rowsley - the Peacock Hotel
6 - Rowsley - the Peacock Hotel

Winster

Slideshow

Winster Market Hall
Winster Market Hall
Winster is one of the oldest and most picturesque villages in the Peak and was once the centre of the local lead mining industry. It is named after Wynn's Tor, an outcrop of rock on the edge of Bonsall Moor above it. In the 18th century this was a thriving and prosperous centre and acquired some fine buildings which remain to attest to this short period of importance. Chief of these are Winster Hall, which stands half-way along the main street, and the Dower House, which is in front of the church.
Dower House
Dower House
Its most conspicuous landmark is the old Market Hall, which stands in the centre of the main street and was constructed in the 16th and 17th centuries. It is a unique building and was the first property in this area to be acquired by the National Trust.

The village still has the feel of a lead-mining centre, with rows of former miners' cottages clinging to the slope of the north side of the hill. There are shops and a pub called the Bowling Green, which bears the date 1473 though the present building is much newer. Outside the village proper to the south is the Miners' Standard, a well-known former miners' pub and just up the hill from this there is an unusual building which was once used for storing lead ore.

Parking in Winster can be a bit tricky if you are planning to use it as a base from which to explore the area and it is best to park in the vicinity of the Miners' Standard rather than the Main Street
 
Winster Photo Gallery - click on the images to enlarge- Click Here for a slide show
Robin Hoods Stride
0 - Robin Hoods Stride
Birchover view
1 - Birchover view
Cratcliffe Tor
2 - Cratcliffe Tor
Elton cafe
3 - Elton cafe
Winster - Old Market Hall
4 - Winster - Old Market Hall
Winster Dower House
5 - Winster Dower House
Winster Hall
6 - Winster Hall
Winster street
7 - Winster street

Youlgrave

Slideshow

Youlgrave (or Youlgreave as the Ordnance Survey persist in calling it) is a sleepy village. Now mainly devoted to farming it was once one of the centres of the Derbyshire lead-mining industry. Though lead is no longer mined some of the old mines are still used for the extraction of fluorspar and calcite but this is low-level and unobtrusive.

Youlgrave Church
Youlgrave Church
The village was built on a ridge between the rivers Bradford and Lathkill, and is a fine centre for exploring both of these beautiful valleys. The village spills down the slope to the Bradford to the south in a topsy-turvy fashion. The river is often dry here in summer, having found an underground course to the Derwent at Darley Dale in 1881, but the dale upstream is very pretty.

At the crossroads at the eastern end of the village lie the George Hotel and the church and from here the main road goes westwards past rows of old cottages.
Conduit Head
Conduit Head
There are several shops and a second pub before you reach the former Market Place where the main feature is the Conduit Head, a large circular tank which was once an integral part of the village's water supply. Opposite, the former Co-op building now houses the Youth Hostel.

The church is one of the most interesting in the Peak, and the village contains many rows of lovely old cottages. Behind the Market Place is the original Hall, now Old Hall Farm, a grand building dated 1630, and there are some fine buildings along the main street.

Downstream of Youlgreave the hamlet of Alport lies at the junction of the Lathkill and Bradford rivers. It is a pretty spot and a good place to start a circular walk of the two valleys.
 
Youlgrave Photo Gallery - click on the images to enlarge- Click Here for a slide show
Youlgrave church - exterior view
0 - Youlgrave church - exterior view
Harthill Moor - The Nine Stones
1 - Harthill Moor - The Nine Stones
Youlgrave Church - tomb of Thomas Cokayne
2 - Youlgrave Church - tomb of Thomas Cokayne
Youlgrave Church - medieval pilgrim figure
3 - Youlgrave Church - medieval pilgrim figure
Youlgrave Church - Roger Rooe tomb
4 - Youlgrave Church - Roger Rooe tomb
Youlgrave Church - memorial to Robert Gilbert
5 - Youlgrave Church - memorial to Robert Gilbert
Lathkill Dale - the remains of the aqueduct from Mandale Mine
6 - Lathkill Dale - the remains of the aqueduct from Mandale Mine
Bradford Dale
7 - Bradford Dale
Conksbury Bridge
8 - Conksbury Bridge
Middleton by Youlgrave - Thomas Bateman\'s tomb
9 - Middleton by Youlgrave - Thomas Bateman\'s tomb
Cratcliffe Tor
10 - Cratcliffe Tor
Fluorspar workings on Long Rake
11 - Fluorspar workings on Long Rake
Middleton by Youlgrave
12 - Middleton by Youlgrave
Over Haddon village
13 - Over Haddon village
Over Haddon stile
14 - Over Haddon stile
Youlgrave YHA
15 - Youlgrave YHA
Youlgrave water cistern
16 - Youlgrave water cistern
Youlgrave public house
17 - Youlgrave public house
Mandale Mine engine house
18 - Mandale Mine engine house
Mandale Mine buildings
19 - Mandale Mine buildings

All material © Cressbrook Multimedia 1997-2017