St Oswald's church, Ashbourne, Derbyshire, England
St Oswald's Church, Ashbourne, is one of the grandest churches in Derbyshire with a fine array of alabaster tombs.
There was certainly a church here in Saxon times and the current church has a Norman crypt, but the present building was constructed in the 13th and early 14th centuries and is the finest local example of the Early English style. The Chancel was complete by 1241 and the Nave and transepts were added in the later part of the century, with the tower added in the early 14th century. Various other small additions were made over the ages and the church was restored by Gilbert Scott in 1837-40.
Ashbourne Church Photo Gallery - click on the images to enlarge- Click Here for a slide show
How to get there
From the centre of Ashbourne follow the A52 Leek road to the church about 500m from the town centre.
By Bus: the 108 Leek to Ashbourne bus, 107 and 109 buses from Derby - Ashbourne, 411 bus from Matlock and the 422 Buxton - Ashbourne service all take you to the centre of Ashbourne.
When is it open?
Normally open in daytime.
What does it cost?
Prices and opening times are shown as a guideline only and may vary.
All material © Cressbrook Multimedia 1997-2017