Bretton: Tourist Attractions and Places to Visit in the Peak District - Derbyshire, Staffordshire, Cheshire

A directory of tourist and visitor attractions near Bretton in the Peak District area of Derbyshire, Staffordshire, Cheshire and Yorkshire. Historic houses, churches, dams and reservoirs, theme parks, museums, railways and castles

Visitor Attractions around Bretton

good for exercise

 Bagshaw Cavern


.

google plus

facebook

Bagshawe Cavern is a largely natural cave system which was discovered by lead miners in 1806. It is open by arrangement for instructor-led 'Adventure caving for beginners', which gives access to a greater part of the cave for those who are prepared to get themselves dirty. A helmet, lamp and suitable clothing are necessary, for to see much of the cave system involves a certain amount of ladder-climbing and crawling, but some of the equipment can be hired at the cave.

The show cave descends 102 steps to a chamber and a horizontal passage, giving features called the Elephant's Throat and the Chandler's Shop. Beyond this is a passage of decorated flowstone called the Grotto of Paradise and a decorated chimney called Niagara Falls. There are some good stalagmites. The cave then divides into two parts - the lower section goes down a passage called the Dungeon and extends down close to a resurgence in Bradwell Dale, while the upper part leads to a chamber known as the Hippodrome.

References: Caves of Derbyshire by Trevor D Ford and David W Gill, Dalesman Books. Also: Underground Britain by Bruce Bedford, Collins/Willow.
 

Ordnance Survey Grid Reference: SK172809


See location on Streetmap.co.uk



How to get there

By Road:
the cave is situated up the hillside above the centre of Bradwell, on a small lane which leads to Bradwell Dale. Bradwell can be reached along the B6049 road from the A6013 road, which runs from Castleton to Sheffield. Approaching from the south, take the B6049 road from the A623 Chapel-en-le-frith to Chesterfield road, turning off near Tideswell.

By Bus: the 272 and 51A buses from Sheffield to Castleton pass through Bradwell. The 173 bus from Bakewell to Castleton also passes through Bradwell, and connects in Litton or Tideswell with the 66 bus from Buxton.
When is it open?

Details of opening times are obtainable from: Amanda Revell, email: amandarevell@hotmail.com


historic interestgood for children

 Eyam Hall

Slideshow

.
Eyam Hall is a fine unspoilt example of a 17th Century gritstone Jacobean manor house which is still in the hands of its original builders, the Wright Family. It is now managed by the National Trust and is open to the public and also has a small set of craft workshops attached.
 
Eyam Hall Photo Gallery - click on the images to enlarge
Eyam Hall
0 - Eyam Hall

Ordnance Survey Grid Reference: SK227767


See location on Streetmap.co.uk



How to get there

By Road:
from the A623 Chapel-en-le-Frith to Chesterfield road, turn off in Stoney Middleton Dale on the B6521 to Eyam.

By Bus: the 66 Chesterfield-Buxton bus goes through Eyam, as does the X67 bus from Chesterfield. From Sheffield, take the 65 bus. From Bakewell, take the 173 bus, which connects with the Trans-Peak bus from Derby and Matlock.
When is it open?

Wednesday - Sunday from 11th Feb to 30th Oct 10.30am - 4.30pm and 25th Nov - 23rd Dec from 10.30am - 3.00pm. The craft shops are open Tuesday - Sunday 10.30 -16.30 all year round
What does it cost?

Prices - Gift Aid/(Standard): Adult £8.90/(£8.09), Child £4.46/(£4.05), Family £22.25/(£20.23)

Free Parking for NT members





Prices and opening times are shown as a guideline only and may vary. See this link for more information on prices and opening

Website: http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/eyam-hall-and-craft-centre

historic interestgood for children

 Eyam Museum and Plague Village

Slideshow

.
The story of how Eyam was infected with the bubonic plague and chose to go into quarantine rather than spread the infection to the surrounding area is an epic tale of self-sacrifice. The village has a small museum and you can follow a signed trail around the village to see the major buildings and sites linked with the Plague.

Plague Cottages
Plague Cottages
George Viccars, a tailor who lived in a cottage near Eyam church (now known as Plague Cottage) was sent some cloth from London in September 1665, but the cloth was infected and Viccars died within four days. The Plague spread through the village and the young Rector, William Mompesson, with his predecessor Thomas Stanley, persuaded the villagers to stay in the village and seal themselves off to avoid spreading the infection to the surrounding area. Though a few villagers left (and it is said that Mompesson arranged to send his children out of the village), most stayed, and 257 died (of a total population of perhaps 350) before the Plague died out in October 1666. In August 1666 alone, 78 people died including Mompesson's wife Catherine, who is buried in the churchyard.

During the period of isolation, food was left for the villagers at Mompesson's well, on the parish boundary high up on the hill above the village, and paid for by coins which were dipped in vinegar to disinfect them. The grim task of burying the dead fell to the village sexton and the victims were often buried hurriedly in graves which were scattered around the village. Usually there was no funeral service, for gatherings of people were discouraged for fear of spreading the infection. Particularly notable are the Riley Graves which are situated just off the Grindleford road approximately 1km from the village centre. Here a Mrs Hancock buried six of her family within the space of a few days.

Plague gravestone in Eyam churchyard
Plague gravestone in Eyam churchyard
A walk around the village shows many relics and monuments of the Plague. Starting at the church, look for Catherine Mompesson's grave - she is the only plague victim buried in the churchyard, though there is a gravestone for Abel Rowland propped up against the side of the church. Just to the west of the church, towards Foolow, is the original Plague Cottage and at the western end of the village, in Tideswell Lane, there is the cottage of Marshall Howe, who was the plague sexton.

At the eastern end of the village, from the Bull Ring, walk up Lydgate. Here you will see several cottages which belonged to plague victims, and a small enclosure for the Lydgate graves, where Thomas and Mary Danby are buried. Going in a northerly direction from the Bull Ring, up Water Lane, will lead you to Mompesson's Well - but this is nearly a kilometre away, steeply uphill!

The Riley Graves
The Riley Graves
The most poignant memorial is the Riley graves. To find these, take the road to Grindleford out of the village, and branch left to Riley farm. Follow the track up the hill and past the farm until you see a stone-walled enclosure (which is in the care of the National Trust) in the field. In this lonely spot, with a magnificent view across Middleton Dale, you can sense the devastation wrought upon the Hancock family.

Eyam museum is housed in a former church just opposite the car park and information centre and is a small but award-winning museum, packed with interesting displays.
 
Eyam Museum and Plague Village Photo Gallery - click on the images to enlarge- Click Here for a slide show
Eyam Churchyard
0 - Eyam Churchyard
Eyam churchyard - Plague gravestone
1 - Eyam churchyard - Plague gravestone
Eyam Plague Cottages
2 - Eyam Plague Cottages
Eyam cottages with plague signpost
3 - Eyam cottages with plague signpost
Eyam - Riley Graves
4 - Eyam - Riley Graves
Eyam - Riley Graves
5 - Eyam - Riley Graves

Ordnance Survey Grid Reference: SK217765


See location on Streetmap.co.uk



How to get there

By Road:
from the A623 Chapel-en-le-Frith to Chesterfield road, turn off in Stoney Middleton Dale on the B6521 to Eyam.

By Bus: the 66 Chesterfield-Buxton bus goes through Eyam, as does the X67 bus from Chesterfield. From Sheffield, take the 65 bus. From Bakewell, take the 173 bus, which connects with the Trans-Peak bus from Derby and Matlock.
When is it open?

Museum open 28th March to 5tyh November from Tuesday to Sunday and Bank Holidays: 10.00 am to 4.30 pm. (Last admissions at 4.00pm).

Open February half-term (except Monday) 11am - 4pm
What does it cost?

Adult £2.50/ Children £2.00/ Concessions £2.00/ Family (2 adults and 2 children) £7.50. School groups: £1.25 per child. Adult groups: £2.00 per adult. Cash only.

Prices and opening times are shown as a guideline only and may vary.

Website: http://www.eyam-museum.org.uk

historic interest

 Hathersage Church

Slideshow

.
Hathersage Church
Hathersage Church
Hathersage church stands on a knoll above the present village, close to the remains of an ancient Danish settlement. The structure of the current Hathersage church was begun in 1381 but there had been churches on this site since at least 200 years before that and the list of vicars of Hathersage goes back to 1281. Traces of an Early English building can be seen at the pillars on the North side of the nave. Most of the present structure dates from the 15th century, when the church was extended by the local squires, the Eyre family of Padley.

In the sanctuary of the church are several notable brasses on the tombs of members of the Eyre family. The best known is the altar tomb of Robert Eyre (died 1459), who fought at Agincourt and built much of the present church, with brasses of him and his wife Joan and of their fourteen children. Above this are brasses of his eldest surviving son (also Robert Eyre, died c. 1500), his wife Elizabeth and four of their sons.

Eyre brassrubbing
Eyre brassrubbing
On the other side of the sanctuary there are fine brasses of Ralph Eyre of Offerton Hall (the sixth son of the first Robert Eyre, died 1493) and his wife Elizabeth and of Sir Arthur Eyre of Padley (a grandson of the second Robert Eyre) and his first wife Margaret (died about 1560). Though it is not possible to enter the sanctuary, copies of the brasses are held in the vestry, with rubbing materials, and it is possible to take rubbings of them for a small fee.

However, the main attraction of Hathersage church is undoubtedly the grave of Little John which lies under a yew tree to the south of the church. Tradition has it that Little John was a Hathersage man and that he died in a small cottage near the church, pulled down in the 19th century.

What is certain is that a very tall man is buried here, for the grave was opened in 1782 and the skeleton of a man about 7 feet tall was discovered. For many years an ancient longbow and cap hung in the church, but these were removed in the early 19th century. The current grave enclosure is impressive for its length, but there is little of substance to see.
 
Hathersage Church Photo Gallery - click on the images to enlarge- Click Here for a slide show
Hathersage Church
0 - Hathersage Church
Hathersage Church - Eyre family brass rubbing
1 - Hathersage Church - Eyre family brass rubbing

Ordnance Survey Grid Reference: SK233819


See location on Streetmap.co.uk



How to get there

By Road:
take the A625 road from Sheffield to Fox House, then follow the A6013 to Hathersage. As you enter the village, take the narrow road on the right which leads to Stanage Edge, pass the primary school and then fork left. Parking near the church is rather problematic.

By Bus: the 272 bus from Sheffield goes to the centre of Hathersage. From here it is a 400m walk to the church.

By Train: Hathersage station lies on the southern edge of the village, almost 1km walk from the church. Regular trains go from here to Sheffield and Manchester.
When is it open?

Normally open in daytime.
What does it cost?

No charge.

Prices and opening times are shown as a guideline only and may vary.

historic interest

 Tideswell Church

Slideshow

.
Tideswell church in winter
Tideswell church in winter
The church of St John the Baptist in Tideswell is rightly known as the 'Cathedral of the Peak', for it is one of the largest and certainly the most perfect church in the area.

Tideswell was recorded in the Domesday book and the first known priest for the village was appointed in 1193. The present church probably replaced a much smaller Norman one, and faint traces of this may be seen in the Chancel. The beauty of the current church is that it was all built about the same period, with few alterations or additions - being started about 1320 and completed soon after 1400. The Nave, Aisles and Transepts were begun about 1340 in the Late Gothic style, and the Chancel and Tower were added at the end of the century in a Perpendicular style. Between the two it is thought that church-building was interrupted by the Black Death, which is thought to have killed nearly a third of the population of England. The church was restored in 1875, but this was a proper restoration rather than a rebuilding, as at Bakewell.

Tomb of Thurstan de Bower
Tomb of Thurstan de Bower
There are many interesting items in the church. Notice the wooded screen which separates the Nave from the Chancel - it is the original - and the beautiful Sedilla by the altar. In the centre of the Chancel lies the altar tomb of Sir Samson Meverill, a local knight and land-owner (1388 -1462). He probably fought at Agincourt and certainly served in France later with the Duke of Bedford, struggling to retain English control of France against Joan of Arc. By all accounts he was a colourful character who was not above abducting jurors brought to try him over a land dispute! His tomb (which was restored in 1875) has a marble slab with brasses in it. In the centre is a Trinity plate which is original, but some of the other brasses were replaced after a theft in 1688. Beneath the slab is a stone cadaver surrounded by an alabaster frieze.

In the floor of the chancel nearby there is an even older tomb - that of John Foljambe, who died in 1358. The Foljambes are though to have come to the area with the Conquerer and were local landowners. The brass on the grave was placed there by a descendant in 1875, for the original was stolen, probably in the 17th century.

Carving by Advent Hunstone
Carving by Advent Hunstone
Next to this is an original brass, this time to Bishop Robert Purseglove, who was born in the village about 1510 and died here in 1579. Purseglove was a distinguished clergyman who became Bishop of Hull in 1538. He was an agent of Thomas Cromwell, Henry VIII's chancellor, and was involved in the dissolution of the monasteries, becoming rich in the process. Though he was created a bishop by Henry and served the Protestant Edward VI, taking the oath renouncing the authority of the Pope, he also served as bishop under the Catholic Mary I. However, when Elizabeth became queen and in 1559 required all the clergy to swear an oath of supremacy to her, Purseglove refused and lost his bishopric. He retired to Tideswell and lived quietly there until his death, giving money to charities and founding the local Grammar School in 1560.

The South transept of the church contain the Lytton chapel and the Bower chapel. One of the original bells, removed in 1928, sits on the floor of the Lytton chapel. In the floor of the Aisle nearby, under a carpet, is the tomb of Robert Lytton (died 1483) and his wife Isabel (died 1458). The purpose of the carpet is to protect the fine brasses of Robert and Isabel on their tombstone. Robert was the squire of Litton and Under-Treasurer of England in the reign of Henry VI, so he was a man of some importance. The Bower chapel contains perhaps the most impressive tomb, thought to be that of Sir Thurstan de Bower and his wife Margaret (about 1395). The recumbent alabaster figures of the couple on the tomb are worn by the ravages of time, but still give a strong impression of the couple.

In the North transept (the Lady Chapel) there are two stone gravestones of women, dating from 1300 and 1375, while the pews have some exquisite carvings by Advent Hunstone, a local man.
 
Tideswell Church Photo Gallery - click on the images to enlarge- Click Here for a slide show
Tideswell Church
0 - Tideswell Church
Tideswell Church in snow
1 - Tideswell Church in snow
Tideswell Church - the tomb of Thurstan de Bower
2 - Tideswell Church - the tomb of Thurstan de Bower
Tideswell Church - medieval womens graves
3 - Tideswell Church - medieval womens graves
Tideswell Church - carving by Advent Hunstone
4 - Tideswell Church - carving by Advent Hunstone

Ordnance Survey Grid Reference: SK152758


See location on Streetmap.co.uk



How to get there

By Road:
Tideswell lies just off the A623 Chapel-en-le-Frith to Chesterfield road, just south of the junction with the B6049, which comes from Hope Valley. The B6049 continues through the village to meet the A6 between Buxton and Bakewell.

By Bus: the 65 Buxton - Sheffield bus and the 66 Buxton - Chesterfield bus both pass through Tideswell. The 173 bus from Bakewell also goes to the village.
When is it open?

Normally open in day time.
What does it cost?

No charge.

Prices and opening times are shown as a guideline only and may vary.

All material © Cressbrook Multimedia 1997-2015