Hathersage: Tourist Attractions and Places to Visit in the Peak District - Derbyshire, Staffordshire, Cheshire

A directory of tourist and visitor attractions near Hathersage in the Peak District area of Derbyshire, Staffordshire, Cheshire and Yorkshire. Historic houses, churches, dams and reservoirs, theme parks, museums, railways and castles

Visitor Attractions around Hathersage

good for exercise

 Bagshaw Cavern


.

google plus

facebook

Bagshawe Cavern is a largely natural cave system which was discovered by lead miners in 1806. It is open by arrangement for instructor-led 'Adventure caving for beginners', which gives access to a greater part of the cave for those who are prepared to get themselves dirty. A helmet, lamp and suitable clothing are necessary, for to see much of the cave system involves a certain amount of ladder-climbing and crawling, but some of the equipment can be hired at the cave.

The show cave descends 102 steps to a chamber and a horizontal passage, giving features called the Elephant's Throat and the Chandler's Shop. Beyond this is a passage of decorated flowstone called the Grotto of Paradise and a decorated chimney called Niagara Falls. There are some good stalagmites. The cave then divides into two parts - the lower section goes down a passage called the Dungeon and extends down close to a resurgence in Bradwell Dale, while the upper part leads to a chamber known as the Hippodrome.

References: Caves of Derbyshire by Trevor D Ford and David W Gill, Dalesman Books. Also: Underground Britain by Bruce Bedford, Collins/Willow.
 

Ordnance Survey Grid Reference: SK172809


See location on Streetmap.co.uk



How to get there

By Road:
the cave is situated up the hillside above the centre of Bradwell, on a small lane which leads to Bradwell Dale. Bradwell can be reached along the B6049 road from the A6013 road, which runs from Castleton to Sheffield. Approaching from the south, take the B6049 road from the A623 Chapel-en-le-frith to Chesterfield road, turning off near Tideswell.

By Bus: the 272 and 51A buses from Sheffield to Castleton pass through Bradwell. The 173 bus from Bakewell to Castleton also passes through Bradwell, and connects in Litton or Tideswell with the 66 bus from Buxton.
When is it open?

Details of opening times are obtainable from: Amanda Revell, email: amandarevell@hotmail.com


historic interestgood for exercisegood scenery

 Carl Wark

Slideshow

.
Carl Wark and Higgar Tor from Burbage Brook
Carl Wark and Higgar Tor from Burbage Brook
The hill known as Carl Wark lies close to Higgar Tor between Stanage and Burbage Edges. It rises high above Burbage Brook and is a fine natural defensive position, so it was used as a fort long ago.

Carl Wark walls
Carl Wark walls
It is very likely that the hill was fortified in the Iron Age (or earlier) at the same time as Mam Tor, which you can see from Higgar Tor, only a few hundred metres away, and a plaque alongside the hill records this. However, archaeologists now tend towards the view that the massive fortifications which can still be seen at the western entrance were probably constructed in the Romano-British period at the start of the Dark Ages, maybe about 500 AD, so the fort has a long and probably complex history of occupation.

Along with nearby Higgar Tor, the hill is a fine viewpoint and makes a nice walk from the Fox House Inn on the Hathersage to Sheffield road.
 
Carl Wark Photo Gallery - click on the images to enlarge- Click Here for a slide show
Carl Wark (left) and Higgar Tor from Burbage Brook
0 - Carl Wark (left) and Higgar Tor from Burbage Brook
Carl Wark ramparts
1 - Carl Wark ramparts
Higgar Tor from Carl Wark
2 - Higgar Tor from Carl Wark

Ordnance Survey Grid Reference: SK260814


See location on Streetmap.co.uk



How to get there

By Road:
From Sheffield take the A625 road to Fox House, turn right, and continue towards Hathersage for 200m until the road crosses Burbage Brook. Parking may be possible there, but it is preferable to turn left at Fox House and park in the Longshaw Estate car parks. Coming from Bakewell, take the A619/B6001 to Calver, then turn right onto the A625 below Froggatt. From the west, take the A623 from Chapel-en-le-Frith to Calver Sough, turn left at the lights and then right immediately onto the A625. Whichever way you drive, you need to walk from the A625 up Burbage Brook a short distance, then cross the brook and head uphill for 1km approximately.

By Bus: the 240 Sheffield to Bakewell bus and 272 Sheffield to Castleton bus pass Fox House.

By Train: Grindleford/Padley station is a very pleasant 4km walk up Burbage Brook to reach Carl Wark.
When is it open?

Open all year.
What does it cost?

Free - on open access land

Prices and opening times are shown as a guideline only and may vary.

good for exercisegood scenery

 Derwent Dams

Slideshow
360 degree view
.
The Upper Valley of the Derwent is a deep valley surrounded by gritstone edges and dominated by three great reservoirs, constructed by the Derwent Valley Water Board primarily to provide water for Sheffield, Derby, Nottingham and Leicester.

Derwent Dam
Derwent Dam
The upper two dams, Howden and Derwent, were constructed between 1901 and 1916 and they were such a large undertaking that a village called Birchinlee was constructed in the upper valley to house the workers and a narrow-gauge railway was built between Howden Dam and the Midland Railway at Bamford. Traces of both these may still be seen. The dams were opened in 1916.

In 1935 an even larger project began downstream of the two earlier dams - the construction of Ladybower Dam, which flooded the area around the junction of the Derwent with the Ashop. This project, first mooted in the early 1920s, caused considerable controversy because it involved the flooding of two villages; Ashopton - which lay at the junction of the Ashop and the Derwent - and Derwent, which lay upstream on the Derwent river.
View over Ladybower Reservoir
View over Ladybower Reservoir
Despite protests the dam went ahead and was finished in 1943, and opened by King George VI, though the reservoir took a further two years to fill. At the time this was the largest reservoir in Britain.

Now the only visible reminder of Derwent and Ashopton is the old packhorse bridge from Derwent village, which was dismantled and re-erected at Slippery Stones. Derwent village can still be seen in very dry summers such as 1959, 1976 and 1995, and the spire of the church was left standing until 1959, when it was demolished. The flooding of the two villages was the worst damage inflicted by the water authorities in their many projects around the Peak District, and highlighted the damage which these can do to the environment - though paradoxically Ladybower is now a major tourist attraction.

Another claim to fame for the Derwent reservoirs is their association with the 'Dambuster' squadron of the RAF, for they used the Derwent to practise for their famous raid on the Ruhr dams. Since then this event has been regularly commemorated in the Derwent valley with fly-pasts of old bombers and aerial displays. There is a small museum on this theme in the west tower of the Derwent Dam.

View down to Ladybower from Lockerbrook
View down to Ladybower from Lockerbrook
In recent years forestry has become an important factor here and much of the sides of the Upper Derwent valley have been clothed in conifers. This has made a considerable change to the look of the valley and altered the ecology. However the Forestry Commission are a relatively benevolent landowner who allow access and provide amenities for visitors.

This is a beautiful and popular area which acts as a magnet for visitors in fine weather, so at weekends the valley is full of walkers, cyclists, fell-runners and just plain tourists. To preserve the peace of the Upper Derwent the Peak National Park have closed the road beyond Fairholmes at weekends and a minibus service operates.
 
Derwent Dams Photo Gallery - click on the images to enlarge- Click Here for a slide show
Ladybower - View to Crook Hill
0 - Ladybower - View to Crook Hill
Ladybower from Win Hill
1 - Ladybower from Win Hill
Ladybower - Ashopton Viaduct and Bamford Edge
2 - Ladybower - Ashopton Viaduct and Bamford Edge
Ladybower from Whinstone Lee
3 - Ladybower from Whinstone Lee
Ladybower from Lockerbrook
4 - Ladybower from Lockerbrook
Ladybower from above Lockerbrook
5 - Ladybower from above Lockerbrook
Derwent Dam
6 - Derwent Dam
Derwent Dam overflowing
7 - Derwent Dam overflowing
Derwent Reservoir and Howden Dam
8 - Derwent Reservoir and Howden Dam
Derwent Dams - Howden reservoir
9 - Derwent Dams - Howden reservoir
Upper Derwent - Slippery Stones packhorse bridge
10 - Upper Derwent - Slippery Stones packhorse bridge
Derwent Valley - Howden Dam
11 - Derwent Valley - Howden Dam

Ordnance Survey Grid Reference: SK202860


See location on Streetmap.co.uk



How to get there

By Road:
the A57 Glossop to Sheffield road crosses Ladybower by the Ashopton viaduct. A minor road on the west side of this leads to Fairholmes. Approaching from Hope Valley, follow the A6013 north from Bamford to reach Ladybower and the A57.

By Bus: the 273 bus from Sheffield to Castleton goes to Fairholmes Information Centre. The 273 Sheffield (or Chesterfield) to Castleton bus stops at the Ladybower Inn alongside Ladybower Reservoir.
When is it open?

There is a Forestry Commission information centre and car-park at Fairholmes, just below Derwent Dam, run in cooperation with the Peak National Park. (Open daily Easter - end October and winter weekends. Telephone 01433 650953). The centre also offers bicycle hire (tel: 01433 651261), toilets and refreshments.
What does it cost?

Access is free, but many of the car parks are pay and display.

Prices and opening times are shown as a guideline only and may vary. See this link for more information on prices and opening

Website: http://www.stwater.co.uk/leisure-and-learning/reservoir-locations/upper-derwent-water/

historic interestgood for children

 Eyam Hall

Slideshow

.
Eyam Hall is a fine unspoilt example of a 17th Century gritstone Jacobean manor house which is still in the hands of its original builders, the Wright Family. It is now managed by the National Trust and is open to the public and also has a small set of craft workshops attached.
 
Eyam Hall Photo Gallery - click on the images to enlarge
Eyam Hall
0 - Eyam Hall

Ordnance Survey Grid Reference: SK227767


See location on Streetmap.co.uk



How to get there

By Road:
from the A623 Chapel-en-le-Frith to Chesterfield road, turn off in Stoney Middleton Dale on the B6521 to Eyam.

By Bus: the 66 Chesterfield-Buxton bus goes through Eyam, as does the X67 bus from Chesterfield. From Sheffield, take the 65 bus. From Bakewell, take the 173 bus, which connects with the Trans-Peak bus from Derby and Matlock.
When is it open?

Wednesday - Sunday from 11th Feb to 30th Oct 10.30am - 4.30pm and 25th Nov - 23rd Dec from 10.30am - 3.00pm. The craft shops are open Tuesday - Sunday 10.30 -16.30 all year round
What does it cost?

Prices - Gift Aid/(Standard): Adult £8.90/(£8.09), Child £4.46/(£4.05), Family £22.25/(£20.23)

Free Parking for NT members





Prices and opening times are shown as a guideline only and may vary. See this link for more information on prices and opening

Website: http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/eyam-hall-and-craft-centre

historic interestgood for children

 Eyam Museum and Plague Village

Slideshow

.
The story of how Eyam was infected with the bubonic plague and chose to go into quarantine rather than spread the infection to the surrounding area is an epic tale of self-sacrifice. The village has a small museum and you can follow a signed trail around the village to see the major buildings and sites linked with the Plague.

Plague Cottages
Plague Cottages
George Viccars, a tailor who lived in a cottage near Eyam church (now known as Plague Cottage) was sent some cloth from London in September 1665, but the cloth was infected and Viccars died within four days. The Plague spread through the village and the young Rector, William Mompesson, with his predecessor Thomas Stanley, persuaded the villagers to stay in the village and seal themselves off to avoid spreading the infection to the surrounding area. Though a few villagers left (and it is said that Mompesson arranged to send his children out of the village), most stayed, and 257 died (of a total population of perhaps 350) before the Plague died out in October 1666. In August 1666 alone, 78 people died including Mompesson's wife Catherine, who is buried in the churchyard.

During the period of isolation, food was left for the villagers at Mompesson's well, on the parish boundary high up on the hill above the village, and paid for by coins which were dipped in vinegar to disinfect them. The grim task of burying the dead fell to the village sexton and the victims were often buried hurriedly in graves which were scattered around the village. Usually there was no funeral service, for gatherings of people were discouraged for fear of spreading the infection. Particularly notable are the Riley Graves which are situated just off the Grindleford road approximately 1km from the village centre. Here a Mrs Hancock buried six of her family within the space of a few days.

Plague gravestone in Eyam churchyard
Plague gravestone in Eyam churchyard
A walk around the village shows many relics and monuments of the Plague. Starting at the church, look for Catherine Mompesson's grave - she is the only plague victim buried in the churchyard, though there is a gravestone for Abel Rowland propped up against the side of the church. Just to the west of the church, towards Foolow, is the original Plague Cottage and at the western end of the village, in Tideswell Lane, there is the cottage of Marshall Howe, who was the plague sexton.

At the eastern end of the village, from the Bull Ring, walk up Lydgate. Here you will see several cottages which belonged to plague victims, and a small enclosure for the Lydgate graves, where Thomas and Mary Danby are buried. Going in a northerly direction from the Bull Ring, up Water Lane, will lead you to Mompesson's Well - but this is nearly a kilometre away, steeply uphill!

The Riley Graves
The Riley Graves
The most poignant memorial is the Riley graves. To find these, take the road to Grindleford out of the village, and branch left to Riley farm. Follow the track up the hill and past the farm until you see a stone-walled enclosure (which is in the care of the National Trust) in the field. In this lonely spot, with a magnificent view across Middleton Dale, you can sense the devastation wrought upon the Hancock family.

Eyam museum is housed in a former church just opposite the car park and information centre and is a small but award-winning museum, packed with interesting displays.
 
Eyam Museum and Plague Village Photo Gallery - click on the images to enlarge- Click Here for a slide show
Eyam Churchyard
0 - Eyam Churchyard
Eyam churchyard - Plague gravestone
1 - Eyam churchyard - Plague gravestone
Eyam Plague Cottages
2 - Eyam Plague Cottages
Eyam cottages with plague signpost
3 - Eyam cottages with plague signpost
Eyam - Riley Graves
4 - Eyam - Riley Graves
Eyam - Riley Graves
5 - Eyam - Riley Graves

Ordnance Survey Grid Reference: SK217765


See location on Streetmap.co.uk



How to get there

By Road:
from the A623 Chapel-en-le-Frith to Chesterfield road, turn off in Stoney Middleton Dale on the B6521 to Eyam.

By Bus: the 66 Chesterfield-Buxton bus goes through Eyam, as does the X67 bus from Chesterfield. From Sheffield, take the 65 bus. From Bakewell, take the 173 bus, which connects with the Trans-Peak bus from Derby and Matlock.
When is it open?

Museum open 28th March to 5tyh November from Tuesday to Sunday and Bank Holidays: 10.00 am to 4.30 pm. (Last admissions at 4.00pm).

Open February half-term (except Monday) 11am - 4pm
What does it cost?

Adult £2.50/ Children £2.00/ Concessions £2.00/ Family (2 adults and 2 children) £7.50. School groups: £1.25 per child. Adult groups: £2.00 per adult. Cash only.

Prices and opening times are shown as a guideline only and may vary.

Website: http://www.eyam-museum.org.uk

historic interest

 Hathersage Church

Slideshow

.
Hathersage Church
Hathersage Church
Hathersage church stands on a knoll above the present village, close to the remains of an ancient Danish settlement. The structure of the current Hathersage church was begun in 1381 but there had been churches on this site since at least 200 years before that and the list of vicars of Hathersage goes back to 1281. Traces of an Early English building can be seen at the pillars on the North side of the nave. Most of the present structure dates from the 15th century, when the church was extended by the local squires, the Eyre family of Padley.

In the sanctuary of the church are several notable brasses on the tombs of members of the Eyre family. The best known is the altar tomb of Robert Eyre (died 1459), who fought at Agincourt and built much of the present church, with brasses of him and his wife Joan and of their fourteen children. Above this are brasses of his eldest surviving son (also Robert Eyre, died c. 1500), his wife Elizabeth and four of their sons.

Eyre brassrubbing
Eyre brassrubbing
On the other side of the sanctuary there are fine brasses of Ralph Eyre of Offerton Hall (the sixth son of the first Robert Eyre, died 1493) and his wife Elizabeth and of Sir Arthur Eyre of Padley (a grandson of the second Robert Eyre) and his first wife Margaret (died about 1560). Though it is not possible to enter the sanctuary, copies of the brasses are held in the vestry, with rubbing materials, and it is possible to take rubbings of them for a small fee.

However, the main attraction of Hathersage church is undoubtedly the grave of Little John which lies under a yew tree to the south of the church. Tradition has it that Little John was a Hathersage man and that he died in a small cottage near the church, pulled down in the 19th century.

What is certain is that a very tall man is buried here, for the grave was opened in 1782 and the skeleton of a man about 7 feet tall was discovered. For many years an ancient longbow and cap hung in the church, but these were removed in the early 19th century. The current grave enclosure is impressive for its length, but there is little of substance to see.
 
Hathersage Church Photo Gallery - click on the images to enlarge- Click Here for a slide show
Hathersage Church
0 - Hathersage Church
Hathersage Church - Eyre family brass rubbing
1 - Hathersage Church - Eyre family brass rubbing

Ordnance Survey Grid Reference: SK233819


See location on Streetmap.co.uk



How to get there

By Road:
take the A625 road from Sheffield to Fox House, then follow the A6013 to Hathersage. As you enter the village, take the narrow road on the right which leads to Stanage Edge, pass the primary school and then fork left. Parking near the church is rather problematic.

By Bus: the 272 bus from Sheffield goes to the centre of Hathersage. From here it is a 400m walk to the church.

By Train: Hathersage station lies on the southern edge of the village, almost 1km walk from the church. Regular trains go from here to Sheffield and Manchester.
When is it open?

Normally open in daytime.
What does it cost?

No charge.

Prices and opening times are shown as a guideline only and may vary.

good for exercisegood scenery

 Longshaw Estate and Country Park

Slideshow

.
Burbage Brook, on the Longshaw Estate
Burbage Brook, on the Longshaw Estate
Longshaw Estate with Longshaw Lodge was once the Duke of Rutland's shooting estate but was purchased from the Duke by public subscription in 1927 and presented to the National Trust. The estate is situated on the moors above Hathersage and is open to the public.
Millstones at Bole Hill
Millstones at Bole Hill
There are some fine walks both in the grounds and round about and Longshaw is also well known for the sheepdog trials which are held here every September, and are generally considered to be the best in the area.

The estate is very extensive, stretching almost down to Grindleford and including the area around Millstone Edge and Bole Hill, which has a fine cache of abandoned millstones. The estate office has a Visitor Centre with a small shop and tea room.
 
Longshaw Estate and Country Park Photo Gallery - click on the images to enlarge- Click Here for a slide show
Burbage Brook
0 - Burbage Brook
Carl Wark (left) and Higgar Tor from Burbage Brook
1 - Carl Wark (left) and Higgar Tor from Burbage Brook
Bole Hill - abandoned millstones
2 - Bole Hill - abandoned millstones
Bole Hill - abandoned millstones
3 - Bole Hill - abandoned millstones

Ordnance Survey Grid Reference: SK264799


See location on Streetmap.co.uk



How to get there

By Road:
From Sheffield take the A625 road to Fox House, then take the first left, the A6187 road, and the car park is on your right. More car parks are available further on, where the A625 road turns off right to Froggatt, and still more further down the A625, below the Grouse Inn. Coming from Bakewell, take the A619/B6001 to Calver, then turn right onto the A625 below Froggatt. From the west, take the A623 from Chapel-en-le-Frith to Calver Sough, turn left at the lights and then right immediately onto the A625.

By Bus: the 240 Sheffield to Bakewell bus and 272 Sheffield to Castleton bus pass Fox House.

By Train: Grindleford/Padley station is a very pleasant 3km walk.
When is it open?

National Trust access land. No restrictions. The Visitor Centre is open 10.00am to 4.00pm 1st Jan - 15th Feb, 10.00am - 5.00pm 16th Feb - 1st Nov and 10.00am - 4.00pm 2nd Nov - 31st Dec. Closed 24th/25th December.
What does it cost?

Charge for car parking but free to National Trust members.

Prices and opening times are shown as a guideline only and may vary.

Website: http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-longshawestate

good for exercisegood scenery

 Stanage Edge

Slideshow

.
Stanage Edge from the road
Stanage Edge from the road
Stanage is the largest and most impressive of the gritstone edges. Situated on the moors north of Hathersage, and visible from miles away down in the Hope Valley, it stretches for a length of approximately six kilometres (3.5 miles) from its northern tip at Stanage End to the southern point near the Cowper Stone. At about is mid-point the edge is crossed by Long Causeway, the old Roman road from Navio (Brough) to Doncaster. It is a famous location for rock-climbing and a popular spot for walkers.

High Neb, Stanage
High Neb, Stanage
Stanage's situation is high and it can be snowbound in winter. For most of its length it lies between the 400 and 450 metre contours, and the rock face itself attains a maximum height of 25 metres, but for most of its length it is between 15 and 20 metres high. The high point of the main edge is at High Neb, which lies near the north end.

Goliaths Groove, Stanage
Goliaths Groove, Stanage
The edge is made of one of the finer gritstones and is therefore ideal for rock-climbing, and the visitor on a summer weekend will see plenty of evidence of this. The climbers have given the sections of the edge colourful, sometimes fanciful names - Marble Wall, Crow Chin, Goliath's Groove, The Tower, The Unconquerables, Mississippi Buttress, Robin Hood's Cave, Black Hawk, Flying Buttress area etc - and the edge currently has over 800 recorded rock climbs with more being invented every year.

Looking south down Stanage Edge
Looking south down Stanage Edge
It now seems quite far-fetched to record that at one time this was a private grouse moor to which access was forbidden and the early pioneers of rock-climbing were forced to make furtive visits or bribe the gamekeepers with barrels of beer. Despite this, climbs were made here as early as the 1890s by pioneers such as JW Puttrell, joined in the early years of this century by Henry Bishop. For ten years from 1915 a small group led by Henry Kelly and Ivar Berg visited the edge to make numerous climbs. This continued through the 1930s, despite the activities of the gamekeepers.

View north from Robin Hoods Cave
View north from Robin Hoods Cave
However, after the second world war the floodgates opened as access got easier and more climbers visited the edge. This began with Peter Harding's ascent of Goliath's Groove in 1947 and gathered pace in the 50's with the appearance of legendary figures such as Joe Brown and later, Don Whillans. Climbing standards made a great leap forward, and the sport gained more adherents, leading to its present popularity.

Stanage is now suffering from its popularity. The edge, which once had heather and bracken to its foot and heather in many of the cracks, has had much of its vegetation worn away with erosion occurring around it, and many of the more popular climbs are becoming quite polished through the ascent of many climbers.
 
Stanage Edge Photo Gallery - click on the images to enlarge- Click Here for a slide show
Stanage Edge
0 - Stanage Edge
Stanage Edge - High Neb
1 - Stanage Edge - High Neb
Stanage Edge - Climbing near the north end
2 - Stanage Edge - Climbing near the north end
Stanage Edge in snow
3 - Stanage Edge in snow
Stanage Edge in autumn/winter colours
4 - Stanage Edge in autumn/winter colours
Stanage Edge - Robin Hoods Cave
5 - Stanage Edge - Robin Hoods Cave
Stanage Edge - Striding out along the edge
6 - Stanage Edge - Striding out along the edge
Stanage Edge - Walker and dog taking in the view
7 - Stanage Edge - Walker and dog taking in the view
Stanage Edge - South end
8 - Stanage Edge - South end
Stanage Edge - Air ambulance taking off
9 - Stanage Edge - Air ambulance taking off

Ordnance Survey Grid Reference: SK245829


See location on Streetmap.co.uk



How to get there

By Road:
the south (and most popular) end of Stanage Edge lies alongside a minor road which runs from Eccleshall in Sheffield via Ringinglow to Hathersage. There is free parking, but at weekends this quickly fills up. The north end lies a 2km walk from the A57 Glossop - Sheffield road at Moscar Top (parking slightly difficult).

By Bus: The 257 bus from Sheffield to Derwent, via Hathersage, passes the south end of Stanage Edge but only operates on summer weekends and Bank Holidays. The 273 Sheffield to Castleton bus or 275 Sheffield to Hathersage passes the north end of Stanage Edge at Moscar Top, but that's the less interesting end of the edge. The other alternative is to take the 271/2 Sheffield to Hathersage bus and alight at Fox House, then walk up the valley below Burbage Edge and turn left at the top to arrive at Stanage - about 30 minutes but a very pleasant walk.

By Train: train from Manchester or Sheffield to Hathersage - then walk (5km) or pick up the 257 bus.
When is it open?

Access land. Open all year, all day.


All material © Cressbrook Multimedia 1997-2015