Chinley New Chapel

historic interest

Chinley Chapel
Chinley Chapel
The Uniformity Act of 1662 compelled all clergy to give their consent to the liturgy of the Church of England and outlawed all other forms of religious worship. Clergy who were unable to agree to the rites of the Church of England were deprived of their parishes and forbidden to preach. Later Acts of Parliament forbade any religious gathering within 5 miles of a parish church and placed a limit on the number of people who could worship in private without using the Book of Common Prayer.

About 2000 ministers left the church about this time, including William Bagshawe, the vicar of Glossop and owner of Ford Hall near Chapel-en-le-Frith. Bagshawe was a famous local Nonconformist who held private services for many years at Ford Hall and later preached among many of the local villages. He was known as the 'Apostle of the Peak'.

Chinley Chapel interior
Chinley Chapel interior
The Act of Toleration in 1689 finally allowed Nonconformists to worship without persecution although bars to public office remained. Bagshawe and his friends converted a barn and held services there until Bagshawe's death in 1702. A dispute over the barn led to Bagshawe's successor, Dr James Clegg, to search for a more suitable place to worship, and in 1711 the 'New' Chapel was erected at a place now known as Chapel Milton.

The chapel is overshadowed externally by the enormous columns of the Midland Railway viaduct, but is a beautiful early 18th century building. The interior is simple and stark, in typical early Geogian style. One of the notable features is the gravestone of Grace Murray, a local woman who is said to be the only woman John Wesley ever loved. Though Wesley paid many visits to Chinley and often visited Grace and preached at the New Chapel, he never proposed to her and she eventually married one of his associates, a local preacher called John Bennet.
 

google plus

facebook


Chinley New Chapel Photo Gallery - click on the images to enlarge- Click Here for a slide show
Chinley Chapel
0 - Chinley Chapel
Chinley Chapel interior
1 - Chinley Chapel interior

Ordnance Survey Grid Reference: SK055820


See location on Streetmap.co.uk



How to get there

By Road:
the Chapel lies just off the A624 Chapel-en-le-Frith to Glossop road, at Chapel Milton. It is just below the railway viaduct - coming from Chapel there is a sharp (and slightly awkward) right turn immediately after the viaduct.

By Bus: the 189 bus from Buxton to Chinley goes via Town End, Chapel-en-le-Frith and passes the Chapel.

By Train: the train service from Manchester to Sheffield stops at Chinley station. From there it is a 3km walk to the Chapel.
When is it open?

Open regularly, especially Sundays.
What does it cost?

No charge.

Prices and opening times are shown as a guideline only and may vary.

Website: http://www.chinleychapel.org.uk

All material © Cressbrook Multimedia 1997-2017