Tideswell church, cathedral of the peak, derbyshire, England UK
Tideswell Church, Derbyshire, is known as the 'Cathedral of the Peak' because it is the largest and most beautiful church in the area. It has several fine carved tombs.
Tideswell was recorded in the Domesday book and the first known priest for the village was appointed in 1193. The present church probably replaced a much smaller Norman one, and faint traces of this may be seen in the Chancel. The beauty of the current church is that it was all built about the same period, with few alterations or additions - being started about 1320 and completed soon after 1400. The Nave, Aisles and Transepts were begun about 1340 in the Late Gothic style, and the Chancel and Tower were added at the end of the century in a Perpendicular style. Between the two it is thought that church-building was interrupted by the Black Death, which is thought to have killed nearly a third of the population of England. The church was restored in 1875, but this was a proper restoration rather than a rebuilding, as at Bakewell.
In the floor of the chancel nearby there is an even older tomb - that of John Foljambe, who died in 1358. The Foljambes are though to have come to the area with the Conquerer and were local landowners. The brass on the grave was placed there by a descendant in 1875, for the original was stolen, probably in the 17th century.
The South transept of the church contain the Lytton chapel and the Bower chapel. One of the original bells, removed in 1928, sits on the floor of the Lytton chapel. In the floor of the Aisle nearby, under a carpet, is the tomb of Robert Lytton (died 1483) and his wife Isabel (died 1458). The purpose of the carpet is to protect the fine brasses of Robert and Isabel on their tombstone. Robert was the squire of Litton and Under-Treasurer of England in the reign of Henry VI, so he was a man of some importance. The Bower chapel contains perhaps the most impressive tomb, thought to be that of Sir Thurstan de Bower and his wife Margaret (about 1395). The recumbent alabaster figures of the couple on the tomb are worn by the ravages of time, but still give a strong impression of the couple.
In the North transept (the Lady Chapel) there are two stone gravestones of women, dating from 1300 and 1375, while the pews have some exquisite carvings by Advent Hunstone, a local man.
Tideswell Church Photo Gallery - click on the images to enlarge- Click Here for a slide show
How to get there
Tideswell lies just off the A623 Chapel-en-le-Frith to Chesterfield road, just south of the junction with the B6049, which comes from Hope Valley. The B6049 continues through the village to meet the A6 between Buxton and Bakewell.
By Bus: the 65 Buxton - Sheffield bus and the 66 Buxton - Chesterfield bus both pass through Tideswell. The 173 bus from Bakewell also goes to the village.
When is it open?
Normally open in day time.
What does it cost?
Prices and opening times are shown as a guideline only and may vary.
All material © Cressbrook Multimedia 1997-2017